In the world of microbiomes, the gut really seems to steal the spotlight. But what about the skin microbiome? Your skin needs its own special set of care tactics to keep thriving and ensure that your complexion glows naturally.
Bohemian Skin founder and Cosmetic Formulations Chemist, Morgan, shares with us her top tips for managing the good and bad bacteria on that beautiful face of yours, plus some handy ways to help your skin heal after flare-ups.
- Take a probiotic and ensure that your diet is full of probiotic-rich foods such as yoghurt, sauerkraut, kefir etc.
- Get some bloodwork done at your GP. If you’re having issues with regular breakouts it's important to ensure there are no underlying health concerns that could be causing your skin to break out. A general blood workup can also show if you are lacking in any essential vitamins that you may need to supplement into your daily routine.
- Change your towel and pillowcase regularly. These are breeding grounds for bacteria so ensure you change them every 2-3 days to avoid any issues. If you can, opt for a mulberry silk pillowcase as these are fantastic for skin and bacteria resistance.
- Wash your makeup brushes every week.
- Create a good skincare ritual and make it a non-negotiable. Find products you love that work for your skin and stick to them.
- Meditate, journal or create a ritual that grounds and calms you. Stress can wreak havoc on our skin so ensuring that you’re taking care of yourself mentally can make a huge difference in not only your skin but your overall health.
- Get enough sleep.
- Hydrate! This helps to flush bacteria from your skin. Drink plenty of water and also moisturise daily. This will prevent an overproduction of oil which can cause the skin to break out.
- Shower after you exercise to ensure that you remove any sweat that could clog your pores.
- Hormones can play a big role in your skin. Try to track your cycle to help you better understand where your flare-ups are coming from.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Don't use skincare that requires you to put your fingers into the jar to get the product out. This is an absolute breeding ground for bacteria.
- If you are required to wear a face mask don't wear a paper/surgical style mask, opt for a silk one that is gentler on the skin and ensure it is washed daily.
- Don't forget to double cleanse in the evening to ensure that you are removing all your makeup and SPF.
- Don't over-exfoliate to attempt to fix your breakouts. This will only make things worse.
- Don't use negative self-talk. No matter what you are going through, you are beautiful, worthy and loved.
- Nourish yourself with whole foods and fresh veggies. Eating a balanced diet will help keep breakouts at bay. Don't feel guilty when you have a treat either! After all, life is all about balance.
- Don't pick or pop your pimples. This will only spread the bacteria and make things worse.
- Don't use heavy, pore-clogging makeup. Opt for mineral-based makeup or research the ingredients to ensure none are pore-clogging.
- Don't forget to clean your phone. Give it a wipe with an eco-friendly antibacterial wipe each day so you are not pressing potentially harmful bacteria up against your face when you are on a call.
Top Tips To Reduce Flare-Ups & Bacterial Breakouts
What are your go-to and no-go grooming habits to keep your skin clear? Tell us in the comments below.