Skin purging…sounds nasty but it means your skincare is working!
Commonly mistaken as a breakout, skin purging is the bumpy road to glowing skin.
Skin purging is the term used to describe your skin reacting to a new product and/or ingredient which kicks your skin’s cell turnover rate into overdrive.
Is it a breakout or the purge?
Firstly, determine if it’s an area of your skin that is prone to breakouts, if it is, this is most likely your skin purging from the new product. If it’s an area where you don’t usually have congestion/pimples, then it’s most likely a different reaction to the new product where your skin is just saying ‘no’.
Out with the old and regenerating the new!
As your skin starts to purge and starts rapidly shedding dead skin cells, it also pushes excess oils and other nasties to the skin's surface which can clog the pores leading to a breakout. I hear your sigh from here… BUT youthful and radiant skin is on its way! This process sees the outer layer of the skin, also known as the epidermis, undergo deeper exfoliation and an increased rate of skin rejuvenation. The end result leaves us with the clear and youthful skin of your dreams that was under the surface all along.
Products with active ingredients that increase skin turnover can cause purging. Particularly products that have hydroxy acids or retinoids. It’s time to be excited by the purge not scared of its existence! We’ve got some tips to guide you and hold your hand through this, don’t you worry.
Tips during the purge:
- Don’t give in to the temptation and pick your blemishes!
- Avoid using drying products, like harsh exfoliants.
- Get a hydrating facial or face mask to help nourish the skin and reduce impurities.
- Be patient for one skin cycle which is roughly 28 days.
- Introduce a new product slowly, using a small amount and building your way up.
- Everyone’s skin is unique. If your purge lasts longer than 6 weeks, consult your dermatologist.
Skin purging is a positive process. When you see that pesky pimple arise, just know you’re on your way to nourished, and rejuvenated skin! You glow girl!